History of Our Building
In May of 1902, the Dominion government announced that it had allocated $20,000 for the construction of a Post Office building in Sault Ste. Marie. After much discussion the corner of East and Queen Streets was chosen for the construction of the new building as the winter ice road was located at the foot of East St. Although the contract was set and work began May 1st, 1904, the building was not available for occupancy until March 31st of 1906.
History of the Museum
The Sault Ste. Marie Museum is a non-profit, charitable organization facilitated by the Sault Ste. Marie & 49th Field Regiment R.C.A. Historical Society for the citizens of Sault Ste. Marie and the District of Algoma, as well as visitors to the community. A management Board of Directors oversees the operation of the Museum.
On August 10th, 1920, an organizational meeting was held attended by twelve interested members of the community. At a subsequent meeting held on August 17, 1920, in the council chambers of City Hall, a constitution was adopted and a slate of officers elected.